This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MinionsAtTarget #CollectiveBias
Family time in our home almost always includes snacks, blankets on the floor and a kid-friendly film or show. Spending that time together helps us to unplug from the world and connect and build memories with each other. My preschoolers are fans of Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 and have viewed both countless times. One of the reasons they love the films is the inclusion of the little yellow guys, better known as minions. Minions are funny, have their own language and unpredictable, which is why kids everywhere are fans. On December 8, the Minions movie will be available for everyone to have in their home. Target is making sure families have the opportunity to get the Minions movie and then some. When you pre-order the Blu-Ray/DVD Metal Pak Deluxe Edition of the Minions movie online, you will also receive a $5 gift card. Your copy from Target will include 40 minutes of exclusive content! Whether choosing to get the movie shipped to your home on the release day or picking it up at the customer service desk, this option offers great convenience for us busy folks.
I have shared several times on the blog about my love (almost addiction) to shopping at Target. It’s both a blessing and a curse to live 4-5 minutes minutes away from the store. I’m pretty sure I know at least 3/4 of the regular team members.
You and I both know one can get practically anything from Target, which is why I love visiting. I’m a one-stop-shop type of shopper, especially when I am preparing for a party or family night. I can always count on them to have most of the items I need for a great event, which is why I headed there to get all my supplies for a minions movie night.
What’s a movie night without snacks? Although I don’t consider myself the most crafty mom on the block, I thought it would be fun to create a snack that was inspired by our lovable animated minion pals.
Minion Inspired Popcorn Balls
Stove-popped popcorn is one of my favorite snacks, so snacking on some is a must when I’m watching a movie with the family. Since we are in high anticipation of the Minions movie, I thought it would be a treat to have minion inspired popcorn balls for the kids to enjoy.
Getting a decent looking minion face on the popcorn balls was a little tricky and took some creativity. I knew, however, whatever I came up with, the girls would love simply because it was a minion. If you’re game for things to get a little messy, get the kids involved so they can make their own minion popcorn ball!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (you can use vegetable or canola oil if desired)
- 1 cup Market Pantry popcorn kernels
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup Market Pantry light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- black licorice (package of standard size and the nib size)
- large marshmallows
- gray/silver decorating food gel
- blue cupcake wrappers
- POPCORN: In a large pot and on medium-high, melt coconut oil. Oil should cover the bottom of the pan. Once melted, add popcorn kernels. Continuously gently move the pot to ensure kernels are evenly heated. Once a kernel pops, cover pot with lid and continue to move the pot around until the majority of kernels have popped. Set aside in bowl.
- POPCORN BALL MIXTURE: Combine sugar, water, light corn syrup, vinegar and salt in a saucepan. Cook on high heat until mixture boils for 4-5 minutes or reaches 255 degrees fahrenheit. Stir in vanilla.
- POPCORN BALLS: Pour popcorn out on a cookie sheet and pour syrup mixture over the popcorn, coating every piece. Allow the popcorn to cool. Place cupcake wrappers in cupcake pan and set aside. Grease hands with coconut oil and form popcorn into balls. Place balls into the cupcake wrappers. Lightly cover and cool in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to speed up the firming process.
- MAKE MINIONS: Cut marshmallows in half or thirds, depending on the desired eye size. Cut licorice (standard size) in half long ways and trim an inch off to form headband for googles. Cut licorice (nibs size) to form eyes and stick them onto the sticky side of the cut marshmallow. Add headband to the popcorn ball, followed by the eyes. To finish the goggles, outline the eyes with gray or silver decorating gel. To add hair, cut licorice into small pieces.
- The popcorn balls should be sticky enough to act as glue. If more "glue" is needed, use the decorating gel.
If you’re excited about the Minions movie, pre-order your copy of the Minions movie at Target.com! If you’re looking for other licensed Minions items for your movie night, you can find tons at your local Target. Follow them on Twitter and Facebook to stay in the know!
What are your favorite movie night snacks and recipes?