Asparagus is not a favorite vegetable in my house. I could easily eat it with a little bit of butter or olive oil and salt. When I found this asparagus recipe I knew that I had to try it, so I could get my hubby and oldest daughter to eat it. My BFF thinks it’s forbidden to add cheese to any veggie, but we all know that cheese makes almost anything taste better! (Sorry Ki)
Creamy Asparagus and Aged Cheddar Recipe
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed of woody ends (about 20 spears)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Scant 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated aged, white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400° F. with rack in centre of oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- If your asparagus is thick, blanch the asparagus in a large pan of salted water for one minute, remove and refresh in ice water or microwave on a plate for about 90 seconds. If your asparagus is thin, you’re probably good to go as is. Divide the asparagus in half and lay on parchment on baking sheet with the cut ends touching in the middle. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolk, and salt. Taste and add more salt, as needed. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Pour sauce over the middle of the asparagus. Top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400 ° F. for 8-10 minutes, then move rack to upper part of oven, switch your oven to broil and broil until the sauce is bubbly and golden.
- Top with a bit more freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 20 min